Friday 25 July 2008

From the Heavens?

You know the story in the Christian Bible?
Well, maybe not all of you will.

There's a story about Moses the prophet who takes the Israelites out of Egypt where they were kept for decades long slavery, and finally after a torrent of miracles, signs, deaths, trials and tribulations, Moses finally parts and crosses the Red Sea with them, and heads towards Canaan.
After that, while they had to cross the desert to get there, they found that alas! alack! they had no food. [no wonder, seeing as you've been fleeing from outrageously evil Egyptian armies and now you've got to cross this massive desert] And the story goes that Moses prayed for food, and God - who kept watch over their journey - rained manna [a type of flat bread] down from the heavens every morning where the people would have to pick them up and use it as food for the day.

And you know what...something similar happened to me.
Only in my case, it wasn't manna, it was EARTHWORMS!!!

It began after a really heavy shower had just cursed us [or blessed, if you're a farmer] at night, and it was thunderstorming, and raining, and let me tell you the Mother Nature is not nice to Perth when it comes to the weather.
Anyway, the next morning, I'd just gotten out the door for school and was waiting just outside the inner garage door, which was open, for my mum to come and open up the car for us. My brother had left his bag on the ground, upon which I espied a little struggling earthworm on the floor. And, well, to be a little sarcastic, I asked my brother why there were worms crawling out of his bag.

And this is where it gets traumatic.

No sooner than he had taken his bag away [hurridly mind you], one plopped down right next to the first one from the skies!
My eyes looked like this ---> O.O
Needless to say, I looked up, and couldn't for the life of me figure out where the worm had come from. And, like any sane person would, I refused to go near the door until mum actually came along to get into the car.
When my mum finally did come, I had some problems. The orientation of the garage is such that I can't get around the car to get into the passenger front seat because it was blocked off, so I had to open the outer garage door in order to get in.

So I opened it.

And THEN the worms came crashing down onto the floor from the door!
One, two, four, six, nine...I went ABSOLUTELY NUTS and refused to have to stay near the door for too long. I took one HUGE leap outside and told my mom to come out before I got into the car.

When I told my cousin the story, he told me that the worms were looking for shelter from the rain because too much water in the soil could drown them.
Needless to say, I was not pleased.

I am actually Christian, therefore I can probably safely say that the worms were not a present from Him to help me out of any sort of plight. XD Unless I was black South African. Mmmmm, mopane worms...

A short explanation of the mopane worms. Mopane worms are...well, rather big fat caterpillar like things that are a delicacy in South Africa. A few of my friends have eaten them, but I have never actually seen it in real life in Africa before. Therefore I googled a shot of it for you. XD It looks...scintillanting.

The Mopane tree where they breed these worms.

A plate of cooked Mopane worms...

Mishy <3

No comments: